Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as operational attorney for key operating groups and regions of DaVita. In coordination with the Group General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel, provide advice and counsel to business leads on a wide variety of corporate and commercial issues arising in day-to-day operations of a complex organization in a heavily-regulated environment.
- Provide legal counsel on a variety of health-care business, corporate and commercial matters.
- Structure, negotiate and provide legal oversight for business transactions.
- Draft, review, analyze and negotiate contracts, agreements, memoranda and other legal documents to which the company intends to become a party, including, but not limited to, Medical Director Agreements, Leases, and Hospital Services Agreements.
- Resolve business and lease disputes, and, if necessary, assist in the management of litigation.
- Develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate appropriate legal advice, structures and strategies.
- Establish a rapport and working relationship with business managers in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Perform special assignments as needed.
- Support and collaborate with other areas of the JLD and compliance, as needed.
- Assist in process improvement and establishment of best-demonstrated practices for all aspects of legal operations.
- J.D. degree and a minimum of six years of legal experience in a mix of operationscorporate law and health care law; state bar passage and good standing.
- Candidates must possess in-house and/or law firm experience representing business clients.
- General understanding of relevant health care compliance issues (i.e., Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark, HIPAA).
- Understanding of Medicare certification, provider conditions and state licensing matters is a plus.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Unquestioned integrity
- Assertive and a self-starter
- Maturity and personal self-confidence
- Strong interpersonal skills including a strong sense of team
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- A keen understanding of business and commerce, and the ability to diagnose legal problems and present positive, creative solutions and alternatives for management
- The ability to effectively manage relationships with outside counsel to maximize the quality of representation and remain within budget
- A bright individual who is a "quick study" and grasps issues quickly
- Possession of good stamina and humor
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-moving, dynamic company
- The maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel
- The interpersonal skills to be a value add team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team.
Experience: 6+ years of legal experience with a mix of corporate law and health care law
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen."